There are many food items available today that, when eaten, can have an adverse affect on the individual. These allergic reactions to various foods can be very dangerous and may even lead to death. This is because the body responds to an allergy with the resulting effect of swelling. This swelling can occur in the individual’s airway which, if not treated, can block off the air supply which may lead to death.
It is important to know that there are a number of food allergies. Examples could include a peanut allergy, an allergy to shellfish, etc. Another food allergy is a corn allergy. Although rare, it may prove important to discuss what a corn allergy is and what are some of the symptoms.
What is a Corn Allergy?
A corn allergy is exactly that, the body’s response to the eating of corn that demonstrates this allergy in the body through various symptoms. Additionally, with a corn allergy, the body is not just allergic to the eating of corn, but by-products of corn. Those by-products could be corn syrup, products made with corn starch, sometimes corn used as a sweetener in candies and gums, etc.
Consequently, a corn allergy can be extremely dangerous because of its broad use in today’s food products. This in turn makes this allergy very difficult to identify when allergic symptoms are demonstrated.
An allergic reaction to food, in this case corn, occurs when the body misrecognizes the corn protein as bacteria. The normal response of the body against protein is to release histamines. The purpose of histamines is to fight against the “infection.”
The symptoms associated with a corn allergy are similar to symptoms exhibited by the body when there are other allergies. Specifically, those corn allergy symptoms begin with an itchiness. Generally, this beginning itch begins in the mouth.
Following this initial symptom, the throat area of the individual with this allergy will begin to swell. This in turn will cause the individual to sound raspy when they try to talk. Also, with the swelling of the throat, the individual will find it difficult to swallow.
Other exhibited symptoms could include a rash, digestive problems, pain in the head and joints and itchiness.
This can prove to be a dangerous allergy because, if severe and left untreated, the individual may have trouble breathing due to the restriction of the airway and the possibility of anaphylactic shock. This condition may result in a dangerous falling of the blood pressure and a respiratory condition caused by inflammation.