The skin around the ankles can become brown or black, which is a condition that is referred to as dark ankle. This issue can be caused by friction from heavy clothing and boots, or medical conditions such as bruising, venous stasis, Rocky Mountain spotted fever, sprains, and poor circulation.
While this condition is not necessarily dangerous, it can lead to self-consciousness. Whether your dark ankle is caused by clothing, footwear, or medical conditions, there are natural remedies that can help get rid of the dry, thick, discolored skin.
There are many food-based remedies for dark ankle. These treatments will help you lighten the skin around your ankles.
• Almond Paste and Honey – Add a small amount of water to 10 – 15 whole almonds. Put this mixture in a blender, and create a smooth paste. Add one tablespoon of honey or milk, mix well, and apply to ankles for at least one hour, or overnight for 10 days.
• Lemon Juice – Use the juice from 2 to 3 lemons, and apply to ankles for 30 minutes twice per day for 8 days.
• Baking Soda – Mix 3 tablespoons of baking soda in one gallon of hot water. Submerge both ankles in this mixture for 15 – 20 minutes per day.
• Coconut Oil – Massage coconut oil into ankles for 15 minutes each day to lighten ankle skin.
• Cocoa Butter – Apply cocoa butter for 15 – 20 minutes per day, or apply 100% cocoa butter lotion to ankles after bathing.
• Gram Flour – Mix 2 tablespoons of gram flour powder, 1 tablespoon of yogurt, a pinch of turmeric, and 2 teaspoons lemon juice until smooth. Smooth the mixture over ankles and leave for 20 minutes four times per week.
• Milk and Rice Flour – Mix 3 tablespoons of milk with one tablespoon rice flour until smooth. Apply mixture for 10 minutes per day for 10 days.
• Hydrogen Peroxide – Apply hydrogen peroxide to ankles and let dry. Apply twice per day.
• Sandalwood and Rose Water – Mix 2 tablespoons of sandalwood powder with 2 tablespoons of rose water. Apply paste and let dry once per day for 10 days.
• Orange Peel – Grind up dried orange peels and mix with three tablespoons of milk and one tablespoon of rose water. Apply paste for 20 minutes.
• Aloe Vera Gel – Apply for 30 minutes daily.