If you’re experiencing premature ejaculation (PE), know that you’re not alone. Indeed, most men will experience issues with going off a bit early at some point in their lives, even if there’s nothing medically wrong with them. However, it can become a problem, when it begins to happen on a regular basis or even if every time. If you find it only happens during intercourse, and not during masturbation, this is also a sign that there is a problem.
Thankfully, it’s a problem with a solution – quite a few of them, actually. Extreme cases can be treated with medication, such as Viagra, or intensive therapy with a sex therapist – but most of the time, there are simpler, more natural remedies that can be used to deal with the problem. This article will discuss six methods you can attempt before seeking more extreme forms of help.
Defining Premature Ejaculation
Before we get to the solutions, it would be useful to go a bit further into what exactly PE is. First off, it’s important to distinguish it from another common sexual problem: erectile dysfunction. Unlike erectile dysfunction, the man is able to achieve and sustain a full erection. The problem is that they become sexually aroused to the point of climaxing too quickly. This occurs within 30 second to 2 minutes after the beginning of intercourse.
Even those who are able to last longer than 2 minutes may still consider their ejaculation premature and seek remedies for it. The tips below can assist them as well – but it is important to recognize that medically, they do not suffer from PE.
What Causes Premature Ejaculation?
There are a variety of medical, neurological, and psychological conditions that can result in PE – but the most common cause is psychosomatic. Sexual immaturity can cause PE, both because of the stress of the situation and the newness of the experience, but it can also be the result of anxiety, depression, or other psychological factors. Regardless of the cause, here are some ways to avoid the condition.
Six Tips For Avoiding Premature Ejaculation
1. Pelvic muscle exercises. Your ability to stave off ejaculation is controlled by your pelvic muscles, and weakness in those muscles can physically prevent you from going longer. Exercise these muscles by squeezing tight, as if you’re trying to avoid urinating. The same exercises can be used to assist with erectile dysfunction, as the same muscles control bloodflow to the penis as well.
2. Relaxation. As mentioned above, stress and anxiety is an important factor in PE, and it’s a factor that propels itself – anxiety about PE can actually cause it to happen. This often combines with the stress of a new relationship and the desire to perform. Learn to control your anxiety, with breathing and relaxation exercises. The more you think about PE in the moment, the worse it will become, and so a technique like mediation, which helps you to focus your mind and clear it of unwanted thoughts, can also help.
3. Foreplay. Foreplay works because it’s a sexual experience without climax, involving massaging, touching, and caressing. Foreplay is a great way to calm yourself and focus on the act, as opposed to your anxiety about PE. It also helps refocus your attention on your partner’s pleasure, which will help you to delay your own.
4. Condom use. Using a condom is recommended during any type of sexual intercourse – including vaginal, oral, and anal – regardless of whether anyone is experiencing PE, but it can be a solution for PE as well. Condoms decrease sensation, particularly at the ultra-sensitive head of the penis, thus prolonging the act.
5. Desensitizing cream. Another direct solution to reduce stimulation, desensitizing cream is a medical balm that somewhat numbs any surface it comes into contact with. By rubbing it on the shaft and head of the penis, it reduces sensation, and so delays ejaculation.
6. Natural male enhancement. These pills operate much like Viagra, helping the man to achieve and maintain an erection. They aren’t specifically designed for PE, but performance anxiety can be one of the causes of PE, and these types of pills can assist with reducing some of that anxiety, thus reducing the likelihood of PE.
In the end, it’s important to put PE in perspective. Unlike many medical conditions, it is not life-threatening, or even painful. It doesn’t even prevent anyone from engaging in the sexual act, unlike other conditions such as erectile dysfunction. It’s easy to become too concerned about the problem, and, because stress is one of the primary causes of the condition, this is particularly problematic.
Thankfully, as we’ve demonstrated above, there is hope, and quite often, it’s easy to achieve. By following the above steps, you can increase your confidence in your abilities, and your long-term endurance is sure to follow.